We see marriage as a crucible where you, as two lovers, come together to refine, grow, cherish and inspire one another. Where the capacity to move each other to become more than you are now – in so many ways – defines the synergy you create as lovers, partners.
So, in your marriage, are you good for one another? Are you a catalyst to the success, happiness and contentment of your lover? Do you seek out ways to rock each other’s world, to let your partner know their well-being means everything to you? That you hope to be the source of smiles, hope and positivity in their life? To the extent we value and invest in the joy and life of our partner, we show the highest love – a love that seeks to bless our mate and honors their heart and spirit.
How do we become lovers who center our efforts on the person we love, not just our own wants and needs? How can we be strategic in our desire to move our partner’s world to help them grow and reach their potential for joy, success and peace? What makes us a “good for our mate” kind of guy or gal? Here are some thoughts.
Reflect regularly on your lover’s uniqueness and find ways to let them know you see and cherish the novelty of their spirit, personality and mind. Develop an inner spirit of fondness for their individual qualities, even if they are quirky or sometimes rub you the wrong way.
- Encourage him or her to cultivate their individuality – perhaps through hobbies, the friends they have or talents they can develop. Join them in events, if possible, that celebrate these experiences or areas of their life.
- Meditate and pray for your mate often. Ask them how you can pray and support them in their challenges ahead, or successes they find.
- Read growthful, life-changing books and spiritual material together. Support your mate in their desire to grow in areas they identify and try to find out specific ways you can come along side and cheer them forward.
- Cultivate love and compassion for your lover. Reach out to them with tenderness, support and belief in their worth and unique value.
- Find all kinds of ways to rock their world with words, touch and praise. May be a simple text message of support or encouragement or a love letter, giant hug or flower and candy you bring their way.
- Don’t stop in your effort to reach your own potential to be a light in his or her life. Pray for God’s virtues to so invade your inner being that reaching out becomes a habit and not an exception. Remember, if you grow in your capacity to love and bring compassion into this world, your own momentum and inspiration will leak into your lover’s life.
Love grows when we water the garden where seeds of hope are planted, where flowers dot the landscape, replacing anger and anxiety, and where thoughts of touching your lover’s soul grow on trees reaching into the light of heaven itself. In this world, where riches abound and grow fertile from the Gardner’s hand, you will become truly “good for one another.”